Order Your Puerto Rico Birth Certificate - Contact Us Today! 1-877-898-6937

Question from a Reader, Answers in Comments

also i would like to ask something else.. whats the rule for US citizens? need passport? If for us citizens passport is not required, what will be checked? birth certificate? or is government issued state driving license is enough (as if traveling within continental US)?
hello, i am planning a trip to either hawaii, us virgin islands or puerto rico. I am US permanent resident. Do i need to carry my foreign passport with permanent resident card with me? Do they even check passport or is there any official immigration check (where they check passport and green card/ permanent resident card)? I am flying out from new york JFK or newark EWR airport. Can you please let me know if you KNOW FOR SURE and not guess. Thank u very much.
i am more interested in puerto rico please. so more info on that will be helpful. but also pls def let me know about hawaii. and virgin island.
i see a lot of mixed information online for puerto rico. for example look at www.topuertorico.org/tinfo.shtml . it says ” no passport required, just need to carry ID card like drivers license.”.. but somewhere in the web i found out people saying when flying back to US there is passport/ birth certificate check. Does anyone know FOR SURE. please let me know whats your source.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • StumbleUpon
  • Tumblr
  • TwitThis
Posted by Puerto Rico Birth Certificate Staff- Visit our website to get your Puerto Rico Birth Certificate or Find out About Visiting Puerto Rico


  1. Sara says:

    definitely go to hawaii.

  2. Stephanie says:

    It is always good to carry proper id when traveling . However hawaii , puerto rico and virgin islands are us territories you do not need a passport there are no immigration laws. They are commonwealth to the us.

  3. Charlie says:

    Hawaii is a state, and Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands are territories. When you travel to any of these , you are not leaving the U.S., therefore you do not need a passport. You only need your passport when you travel outside U.S. territory to enter a foreign country. You are required to carry your green card at all times, and this is all you need. There is no immigration check for U.S. citizens or permanent residents. You have the right to travel to any part of the U.S. and its territories just like a citizen. You can also call your airline and ask them if you want more confirmation.

  4. chocolatequeenkathlyn says:

    I would travel to the VI. The VI you have choice. If you want to shop till you drop and enjoy some awesome tours and adventures with lots to do, you can travel to St.Thomas. If you want to intake nature and enjoy great beaches, nice shopping, The best hikes,etc… St.John.
    If you want to have a peaceful/memorial vacation, visit St.Croix. St.Croix the people are friendly. You can enjoy their culture. Nice beaches, perfect weather, lush lands. Great, Great, Great foods.Lots of places to go, things to see and places to shop. Enjoy the Cruzan Rum. And they have many exclusive resorts. Truly a vacationing experience.

    Don’t need a passport. Just need a birth cerificate and a government issued Id if you’r e US citizen.

    Puerto Rico is nice and not too expensive. Be careful though. It’s a tourist trap.

  5. Gaara says:

    why not go to Barcelona?

  6. Cory B says:

    Hawaii would be my first choice but coming from the east coast it is about a 9 hour flight. In the caribbean I would recommend going to St. John in the USVI. But if you go to either the USVI or Puerto Rico you do not need a passport, however when you come back you do need to go through customs and usually the first thing they ask for is your passport so I would bring it just to speed things along. Also if you stay in the Virgin Islands it is worth the trip to take the ferry over to the British Virgin Islands where you will need a passport since it is a different country.

  7. short2stuff1922 says:

    As Sara says go to Hawaii.

  8. barcovago says:

    I just took this off the official travel site:

    Passport Requirements

    General Passport Information

    Traveling abroad? On June 1, 2009, the U.S. government will require U.S. citizens entering the United States via land, sea, or air to have a passport, passport card, or other travel document approved by the Department of Homeland Security. Expedia strongly recommends that every traveler have a passport; if you don’t have one, allow a minimum of 6–8 weeks to obtain one.

    Children: U.S. citizen children under the age of 16 will be able to present the original or copy of their birth certificate, or other proof of U.S. citizenship such as a naturalization certificate or citizenship card.

    Air Travel: Passports are now required for U.S. citizens traveling to or from all international destinations, including Mexico or Canada.

    Land & Sea Travel: U.S. citizens returning home from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, or Bermuda, by land or sea, will be required to present one of the travel documents listed below:
    U.S. Passport
    U.S. Passport Card
    Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)
    Trusted Traveler Program Cards

    EXCEPTION: U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port) and visit Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and/or countries of the Caribbean will be able to enter or depart the US with a birth certificate and government issued photo ID.
    For further information, see U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s website Ready, Set…Go!

    For information on passports, U.S. citizens can visit the State Department’s web site http://travel.state.gov, or call the U.S. National Passport Information Center: (877) 4USA-PPT. Please allow at minimum 6–8 weeks for processing of the passport application. If you need to travel urgently and require a passport sooner, expedited processing is available.

    To find out more information about how to obtain a passport, please visit:

    To find foreign country entry requirements, please visit:

    To find U.S. entry requirements for non-citizens, please visit:

Leave a Reply